Overheating is a common vehicle problem, and it often happens at the most inconvenient time—on the morning of an important day at work, for example, or while your children are waiting to be picked up from school. Luckily, identifying the cause of the problem and, more important, fixing it, is as easy as 1-2-3. Nevertheless, we urge you to call a professional should your car fill up with a noxious odour or should you see smoke billowing out from under your hood. Dealing with these problems on your own is dangerous, and you’ll risk burns or other injuries.
The Five Most Common Reasons Your Car Overheats
· Your Thermostat is Stuck: In order to function properly, your engine needs a steady supply of coolant. A stuck thermostat will prevent the coolant from reaching the engine.
· Your Radiator is Jammed: Rust and debris will collect in your radiator, causing it to jam. You can prevent this from happening by making sure to change the radiator fluid on a regular basis.
· Your Fan Is Malfunctioning: An electric car fan should start functioning as soon as your vehicle reaches a certain temperature. If this does not happen, you’ll need to have the fan repaired or replaced.
· Your Water Pump is Malfunctioning: Located in your car’s cooling system, the water pump circulates the coolant in the engine. A car will overheat within minutes if the water pump is malfunctioning.
· You Cooling System is Leaking: If your car is leaking coolant, not enough will be able to make its way to the engine. Common sources for leaks are hoses and radiator welds.
We don’t advise you to try to fix these problems by yourself. In fact, we want to warn you that doing so without prior experience can be dangerous—it’s not uncommon to hear of people being injured from scalding vehicle fluids. Call 24HR Towing Sacramento instead. We offer the best maintenance service in town, and we offer it for the most competitive and affordable rates. Please also note that all of our mechanics are licensed, certified, and insured.
We look forward to hearing from you!